Somthings about Titanic

Today in the morning when I decided to read one of my stored books which is about ” Titanic”. It’s the real events, with real names. Now most of you thought that the story of Rose and Jack  in the movie of Titanic 1997  was real! actually it wasn’t. Everything was real except this love story. I told you that Because I don’t want you to confused between Jack Dawson in the movie and Jack Thayer one of the first-class passenger who survived at that time and the one who I’m going to let you know about.

Jack Thayer

John Borland “Jack” Thayer III (December 24, 1894 – September 20, 1945) was from Philadelphia. He was a first-class passenger on the RMS Titanic who provided several first-hand accounts of the disaster.

17 years old at the time, Jack Thayer boarded the Titanic along with his father John Borland Thayer and his mother, Marian. Jack occupied cabin C-70 while his parents occupied C-68.

Shortly after 11:30 p.m. on 14 April 1912, Jack noticed that he could no longer feel a breeze streaming through his half-open porthole. He did not recall feeling the ship’s collision with the iceberg. He dressed and went to A deck on the port side to see what had happened. Finding nothing, he walked to the bow, where he could faintly make out ice on the forward well deck.

Jack woke his parents, who accompanied him back to the port side of the ship. Noticing that the Titanic was developing a list to port, they returned to their rooms and put on warmer clothes and life vests. They returned to the deck, but Jack lost sight of his parents and after searching for them, assumed they had boarded a lifeboat.

Jack soon encountered Milton Long, a fellow passenger he had met hours before over coffee. Both Milton and Jack tried to board a lifeboat but were denied because they were men. Jack then proposed to jump off the ship, as he was a good swimmer. However, Milton was not and advised Jack against it.

Eventually, as the ship was sinking quickly, the two men decided to jump and attempt to swim to safety. Milton went first; it was the last time Jack ever saw him. Once in the water, Jack reached an improperly launched and overturned collapsible lifeboat, on which he and a number of other men were able to balance for some hours. He later recalled that the cries of hundreds of people in the water reminded him of the high-pitched hum of locusts in his native Pennsylvania.

After spending the night on the overturned collapsible, Jack was picked up by Lifeboat 12. He was so distraught and freezing that he did not notice his mother in nearby Lifeboat 4, nor did she notice him. Lifeboat 12 finally made its way to the rescue ship RMS Carpathia at 8:30 a.m.Sadly, Jack’s father did not board a lifeboat and died in the sinking.

After the sinking, Thayer went on to graduate from the University of Pennsylvania. He married Lois Cassatt, daughter of Edward B. Cassatt and Emily L. Phillips. Her grandfather was Alexander Cassatt, President of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The couple had two sons, Edward and John IV. In 1940 he described his experiences with the Titanic‘s sinking in vivid detail in a self-published pamphlet. Oceanographer Robert Ballard used it to determine the location of the Titanic and proved that the ship had split in half as it sank, contrary to popular belief..

During World War II, both of Jack’s children enlisted in the armed services. Edward was killed in 1945 in the Pacific theatre. When the news reached Thayer, he became extremely depressed and committed suicide on September 20, 1945. He had shot himself in the head and was found in an automobile at 48th and Parkside Ave. He is buried at the Church of the Redeemer Cemetery in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. Thayer was the financial vice president of the University of Pennsylvania at the time of his death.

Check this page to know more about Jack Thayer and more survivors.

In my book,, they mentioned strange books:

– In 1898, Morgan Robertson wrote a book called Futility, or The Wreck on the Titanic. The book told story of a ship crossing the Atlantic. It hit an iceberg and sank. Almost all of the passengers died because there weren’t enough lifeboats.

– Six years earlier, in 1892, William T.Stead wrote From the Old World to the New. In that story, too, a ship hit an iceberg and sank. Another ship picked up the survivors. The captain’s name was E.J.Smith the name of the Titanic’s captain. Twenty years later, stead traveled on the real Titanic. He didn’t survive.

Thomas Andrews (shipbuilder)

The ship builder died with the ship. He never even put his life jacket on.

Thomas Andrews, Jr. (7 February 1873–15 April 1912) was an Irish-born businessman and shipbuilder; managing director and head of the draughting department for the shipbuilding company Harland and Wolff in Belfast, Ireland. Andrews was the shipbuilder in charge of the plans for the ocean liner RMS Titanic. He was travelling on board the Titanic during its maiden voyage when it hit an iceberg on 14 April 1912 and was one of the 1,517 people who perished in the disaster.

In 1907, Andrews began to oversee the plans for a new superliner, the RMS Olympic for the White Star Line. The Olympic and its sister ship the Titanic, which began construction in 1909, were designed by William Pirrie and general manager Alexander Carlisle along with Andrews. As he had done for the other ships he had overseen, Andrews familiarized himself with every detail of the Olympic and Titanic, in order to ensure that they were in optimal working order.

Andrews headed a group of Harland and Wolff workers who went on the maiden voyages of the ships built by the company, to observe ship operations and spot any necessary improvements. The Titanic was no exception, so Andrews and the rest of his Harland and Wolff group travelled from Belfast to Southampton on Titanic for the beginning of her maiden voyage on 10 April 1912. During the voyage, Andrews took notes on various improvements he felt were needed. However, on 14 April, Andrews remarked to a friend that Titanic was “as nearly perfect as human brains can make her.”

On 14 April at 11:40 PM, the Titanic struck an iceberg on the ship’s starboard side. Andrews had been in his stateroom, planning changes he wanted to make to the ship, and barely noticed the collision. Captain Edward J. Smith had Andrews summoned to help examine the damage. Andrews and Captain Smith discussed the damage to the ship shortly after midnight, after Andrews had toured the damaged section of the ship and received several reports of the vessel’s damage. Andrews determined that the first five of the ship’s watertight compartments were rapidly flooding. Andrews knew that if more than four of the ship’s compartments flooded, it would inevitably sink. He relayed this information to Captain Smith, stating that it was a ‘mathematical certainty’, and adding that in his opinion, the vessel had only about an hour before it completely sank. He also informed Smith of the severe shortage of lifeboats on board the ship.

As the evacuation of the Titanic began, Andrews searched staterooms telling the passengers to put on lifebelts and go up on deck. Fully aware of the short time the ship had left and of the lack of lifeboat space for all passengers and crew, he continued to urge reluctant people into the lifeboats in the hope of filling them as fully as possible. Another reported last sighting was of Andrews frantically throwing deck chairs into the ocean for passengers to use as floating devices. According to John Stewart, a steward on the ship, Andrews was last seen in the first–class smoking room staring at a painting, “Plymouth Harbour”, above the fireplace, his lifejacket lying on a nearby table. The painting depicted the entrance to Plymouth Sound, which Titanic had been expected to visit on her return voyage. The painting is often incorrectly shown on television and in movies as depicting the entrance to New York Harbor. Andrews went down with the Titanic and his body was never found.

Finally, on 19 April, his father received a telegram from his mother’s cousin, who had spoken with survivors in New York, searching for news of Andrews. The telegram was read aloud by Andrews Sr. to the staff of the home in Comber: “INTERVIEW TITANIC’S OFFICERS. ALL UNANIMOUS THAT ANDREWS HEROIC UNTO DEATH, THINKING ONLY SAFETY OTHERS. EXTEND HEARTFELT SYMPATHY TO ALL.”

Previous Post
Next Post
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


  • Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: